Refurbishment of the Forge
The forge and forge building at Tooley’s Boatyard was recently refurbished.
The building work by local firm P.R.Alcock & Sons was carried out using materials and techniques appropriate to the historical building. Additional metalwork items were made in the forge by blacksmith Jamie Simmons. The result is therefore an authentic eighteenth-century survivor from 1778 made fit for the 21st century. Work was funded by a grant from Historic England under their Heritage at Risk programme.
On the outside of the building work included: pointing brickwork and under the edge of roof tiles and also refurbishing the windows. Inside it was necessary to secure the original floor which is brick construction. The very large hearth stone had to be lifted and reset onto mortar. Pointing was needed on the flue. Further metalwork used in the forge reconstruction was made in the forge.
In the past there have been problems from some local people. They would climb over the railing outside Castle Quay entrance onto the roof of the forge. Not only is this dangerous, but it has caused damage to the roof tiles. A new higher railing was designed and approved by Castle Quay. As part of the improvement the railing was constructed in the forge.
Painting of doors and windows completed the work.
We hope to open on Saturdays (if permitted) from June 26th. So do please come along, any time between 11am and 4pm. And if you fancy a trip on the canal, please go to the Boat Trips Page of our website to book.